|Geophagus altifrons "Tocantins"
|Australian variant profiles:
(Click for Further Information)
formerly Geophagus altifrons "Tocantins"(Australian Variant 1)
Geophagus altifrons "Tocantins" (Australian Variant 2)
||At present it appears there are two different species being sold as G. altifrons "Tocantins". Both have come from the same shop here in Brisbane. After corresponding with the aquarium manager (had bred this "Tocantins" type) there in regards to whether he thought they were different or the same it is still unclear. These two variants should not be bred with each other.
There seems to be a lack of pictures on the internet which resemble the type 2 variant and it is probably not even a Tocantins variant.
Australian Variant 1
Australian Variant 2
A quick summary of differences observed are:
- Golden body colour
- Tail spots can merge to form lines (ranges from almost none to many lines)
- Lateral bars split (especially bars 2 and 3)
- Appears to lack the body colour of type 1
- Distinctively long snout even at half grown sizes (12cm)
- Very high body profile
- Caudual fin spotting doesn't seem to merge into lines even in mature fish
- Seems to lack the black horizontal band running from the lateral spot to the head
- Lateral bars are solid